The Manitou Springs Planning Department responsibilities include:
- Protecting the Health, Safety, and Welfare of the community through the enforcement of the City’s Zoning Code (Title 18), Historic Preservation Code (Title 17), Subdivision Code (Title 16), Buildings and Construction Code (Title 15), Sign Code (Chapter 15.16), and other Municipal Codes
- Overseeing development and historic preservation review
- Providing support to many of the City’s boards, commissions, and committees
- Conducting master planning and other studies
The Planning & Community Development team will provide leadership in City's execution of Plan Manitou, enhance development and improvement opportunities while working closely with residents to protect and maintain the character of the community through implementation of Municipal Zoning Code provisions for historic preservation, zoning, subdivision, and sign code.
The Planning Department for the City of Manitou Springs has a wide range of functions for the benefit of residents, contractors/developers, and the local government. Some of those functions include, but are not limited to:
- Building Plan Review: Building plans are reviewed by the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department.
- Code Enforcement: The role of code enforcement is to promote the health, safety and welfare of the community through education, community involvement, and enforcement of ordinances. Our goal is to ensure safe, attractive neighborhoods, a vibrant downtown and business district, and a peaceful, enjoyable community for everyone.
- Development Application Review: Staff works with applicants to process development applications and to assist them through public processes.
- Master Plans, Studies, Maps, and Guidelines: The community master plan, Hazard Mitigation Plan, and other plans that guide our community's growth, preservation, and development.
- Plan Manitou: Access the community master plan containing the Hazard Mitigation Plan, maps, community profiles, educational material and more.
- Short-Term Rental Monitoring: The Planning Department monitors and tracks legal short-term rentals in the City of Manitou Springs for compliance with the operation's Minor Conditional Use Permit.
- What improvements require a permit? Do I need a permit?
- How much does a property improvement permit cost?
- Which improvements require that plans be submitted prior to permitting? Am I required to submit plans?
- What is Use Tax and what is it used for?
- What is the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department (PPRBD)?
- Can I operate a short-term rental (AKA Vacation Rental) in the City?
- What do I need to know about performing work in the City’s Local Historic Districts?
- What do I need to know about performing roofing work in the City’s Local Historic Districts?
- Are there any penalties for pulling a Property Improvement Permit after the work has been completed?
- How do I locate an easement?
- How do I locate/obtain a surveyor?