Short-Term Rental Operations
Short-Term Rental Operations, defined in the City of Manitou Springs Municipal Code as "the rental of a dwelling unit, or a portion thereof, that is rented for purpose of lodging for terms of not less than one (1) day and not more than twenty-nine (29) days", require the approval of the City's Planning Commission for a Minor Conditional Use Permit. This process takes about two to three (2-3) months to complete and requires a Public Hearing.
Once a Minor Conditional Use Permit has been approved by the Planning Commission, the operator has one (1) year to obtain a Business License with the City of Manitou Springs.
Once a Business License with the City of Manitou Springs has been obtained, the operator may begin operation. In order to maintain the Minor Conditional Use Permit, operators are required to rent, at a minimum, twenty-one (21) calendar days per year. This is tracked and monitored through lodging taxes paid to the City of Manitou Springs by the operator.
- Vacation Rental (VRBO, Air BNB, etc.)
- Bed & Breakfast
- Any rental of a dwelling unit, or a portion thereof, rented as lodging for a period of less than thirty (30) days
Short-Term Rental Regulations
In order to be eligible to obtain a Minor Conditional Use Permit for the legal operation of a Short-Term Rental in the City of Manitou Springs, there are several criteria which must be met by a given property. The main points found in the regulations are as follows:
- Short-Term Rental Operations must be a minimum of five-hundred feet (500 ft.) from other Short-Term Rental Operations. This minimum separation distance is measured from property line to property line. The Short-Term Rental Web Map can be used to determine whether a property meets the minimum separation distance requirements.
- Short-Term Rental Operations shall occupy no more than two percent (2%) of the available residential structures within the City of Manitou Springs which is currently capped at fifty-eight (58) potential permits which may be issued for Short-Term Rental Operations. To date, there are forty-two (42) Minor Conditional Use Permits which have been issued. There are sixteen (16) permits still available!
- Short-Term Rental Operations must be able to provide off-street parking to accommodate guests and reduce the impact the operation may have regarding on-street parking in the neighborhood.
If the above criteria is met or exceeded, a property is eligible to go through the Minor Conditional Use Permit process and a Public Hearing with the City's Planning Commission for approval to operate a short-term rental business. For further information, view the Short-Term Rental Regulations here: Municipal Code Section 18.89
Illegal Short-Term Rental Operations
An illegal Short-Term Rental Operation is one which has not been approved by the City's Planning Commission and, therefore, does not have a Minor Conditional Use Permit to allow the legal operation of the business.
The City of Manitou Springs contracts with a company called Host Compliance, which monitors hundreds of short-term rental listing sites to identify illegal operations within the City.
Short-Term Rental Web Map
This web-based map application allows residents and property owners in the City of Manitou Springs to determine the location of current Short-Term Rental Operations located in the City and the eligibility of a given property to become a Short-Term Rental.
To best utilize this map application, either use the mouse to zoom in on a specific property or use the search field in the upper left-hand corner of the application to search a property by address. If any portion of a property lies within one of the green circles denoting the required five hundred foot (500 ft.) separation distance on the map, the property in ineligible to go through the Minor Conditional Use Permit process to become a legal Short-Term Rental Operation. If a property does not have any contact with the green circles, it is more than five hundred feet (500 ft.) from the nearest operation and is, therefore, eligible to become a Short-Term Rental.